AFRO FASHION ASSOCIATION MILAN
Based in Italy and Cameroon, the Afro Fashion Association is a volunteer-driven non-profit organization founded in 2015. We believe in the transformative potential of fashion, design, art, and culture as a means for cross-cultural exchange, empowerment, and sustainable economic development.
Promote BIPOC talents & African brands
With a database of around 1400 registered Afro designers both on the continent and in diaspora, our association has a wide network of BIPOC fashion influencers, designers, and other industry professionals in Italy and throughout the world. Through our events to date we have promoted the work of about 80 Fashion designers. Our regular collaborations with fashion universities in Africa put us in continual contact with top emerging talent to whom we seek to provide opportunities to engage with the fashion industry on an international stage.
Influence industry standards
We seek to influence industry standards through continental collaboration, consulting services including in association with the Camera Nazionale della Moda Italiana, and other work.
Encourage investment in Afro fashion
We provide a platform for direct international investment towards African fashion, beauty, and the arts. This is a communication question as much as it is an economic one. We are passionate about promoting an experience of African fashion centered not on wax prints and trends but on the unique vision and innovation that Afro designers can contribute to the broader industry.
Where we work
Our work in Italy and Cameroon is synergistic. Across both we promote diversity and inclusion in the fashion, design, art, and culture industries and advance an identity of Africa rooted in its abundance, creativity, culture, and innovation. Our events and services provide an international platform to showcase and support the work of emerging African, Afro descedent, and Afro-inspired designers.
Further work is tuned to the needs and opportunities we have identified in each local context:
- We work on education and sensitivity training, examining representation and multiculturalism in today’s society using fashion as a communication tool
- Generate audience and markets for Afro-owned products and services
- We work on the empowerment of BIPOC companies in order to make them more aware of their value and counter the growing tokenism in society
- Collaborate with universities in Italy and abroad to support BIPOC youth and activate scholarship and mentoring programs that will create viable post graduate placement opportunities to qualified talents
- Strengthen local capacity to leverage arts and culture as an engine for social and economic development
- Build professional skills and exhibition opportunities for students and emerging professionals
- Develop services to support women’s empowerment and economic development
- Working with universities on courses, labs, and other opportunities
Meet the team
Meet our founder
Our work in Milan and Cameroon is made possible only thanks to our volunteers and interns! A small core team joins us year-round and many more jump in to support during Afro Fashion Week and our other events. Our volunteers and interns come from a wide range of backgrounds, skills, nationalities, and cultures, all passionate about the transformative potential of fashion and the arts.
We’re currently getting updated portraits and info about each of our volunteers and staff. Come back after this year’s Afro Fashion Week to meet the full team!